Tuesday, November 4, 2014

See "IN" the Poor


What do we see when we see the poor?  Do we see poverty, or do we see the real individual hidden inside? Can we see "IN" the poor?

A little, dirty boy dressed in rags waited outside the bakery while I bought two bread rolls for him.  As I walked out the door, another foreigner walked out ahead of me with his friend.  The man looked at the boy, grumbled some words, and then threw some coins on the ground around the boy.  The little boy hurried to fetch the coins as they rolled around him.

Without thinking, I spoke to the man, who was much bigger than myself.  "You should give it to him in his hands," I said.  The man turned around toward me, slurred out swears and said, "...He should be happy... I gave him this...!"  I stared at him and responded, "If you give it to him in his hand, you will treat him like who he really is - a boy.  Then, you can help him see who he really is.  How do you expect him to change if you treat him like this?"

The words penetrated the man's heart.  He looked touched, even heartbroken.  He turned away and left without saying anything.  I was amazed.  I thought the boy was in poverty, but I saw the man was poorer.  He was disguised as well-off, but still bound by a form of poverty.  What do we see when we see the poor?  Do we see past the darkness, the evil of poverty, to see the true form of the individual trapped inside.  Is it just a dirty boy?  Is it really an uncaring adult?  The Holy Spirit in His wisdom gave me words to open this man's eyes and help him see who he truly is.  This man had a heart for that poor little boy in rags, but didn't know how to deal with the situation.

I think I need to rephrase my question and ask, not what do we see, but simply, "Do we see?"  In poverty there's a hidden treasure.  The wise will break up the fallow ground and harvest it.

Much food is in the fallow ground of the poor, and for lack of justice there is waste.
Proverbs 13:23 (NKJV) 

The poor man and the oppressor have this in common: the Lord gives light to the eyes of both.  Proverbs 29:13 (NKJV)


Much love,

Tyren and Tiffany Haynes

No comments: