Saturday, November 30, 2013

Night Evangelism

I must reach those whom the Lord has called me to; therefore, I started up night evangelism again.  I will go wherever the Lord sends me, choose to love, purposely seek out those in darkness, and preach the gospel of Jesus Christ. 

It would have been easier, convenient, and perhaps, safer, to preach the gospel at night on the lighted streets lined with people selling fish, bolos (fried dough balls), and many other items.  But, instead, we walked through a narrow path into a dark area lined with bars and full of music, alcohol, and prostitutes.  This was the place God put on my heart.  Victo and I ministered to the prostitutes, and the men trying to spend time with them for 100 meticais (about $3.40 USD).  We were insulted, yelled at, mocked and threatened to be stoned.  But, the Lord pursued them and encouraged us to continue to share the love of Jesus Christ with them, telling them of their worth and how Christ could set them free.  They all refused to respond and decided to move on to another area.  Shortly afterwards a man came and sat next to me.  He told me, “I despised all that you were saying to the prostitutes, so I decided to leave.   But as I was leaving, I knew that I needed to hear the gospel.  So, I went to the prostitutes and asked where the man was that was preaching the gospel.  They told me where you went.”  As we talked, this man ended up repenting.  Then he left to go home to his wife and 2 daughters.
 
In the same area, Victo ministered to a man who made a decision to accept the Lord Jesus Christ as his Savior!  Later, we began to share the gospel with a man and two women.  As soon as we mentioned the love of Christ, the two women quickly left and called the young man to follow them.  But, the young man refused.  Instead, he sat with Victo for a while intently listening to the gospel of Jesus Christ.  He left, thanking Victo for sharing the gospel and spending time with him.

It is a privilege to take the gospel to the bars and the streets.  Love compels me to preach Christ, who alone can satisfy the longing in the hearts and souls of drunks, prostitutes and others living in darkness.  Pray that we’ll be bold to preach the gospel in the darkest places here, and confidently display God’s love to help people know that salvation comes through Jesus Christ alone.    

Love, Tyren and Tiffany Haynes

No comments: