Friday, June 8, 2012

Tiffany's Sister Visits Lichinga


Kim, Tiffany's sister, is visiting us here in Lichinga.  Tiffany, of course, and the rest of us are very excited to have her here.  Even though Kim reads our blogs and we've talked to her from Mozambique, so many things here still surprised her, having now seen them in person.  After she shared some things with us, we asked her to write it down, sharing some of her heart, so that we could include it in our next blog entry.  Here's a fresh perspective of Lichinga from a visitor.

Kim writes:  Though I doubted it was as cold in Lichinga as Tiffany had told me, I obediently packed my flannel pajamas and warm socks. I was surprised when I actually had to use them along with three blankets to keep warm at night. Yes, it does get cold in Africa! Another thing I found very surprising when I arrived in Lichinga was the price of food. I had read the blogs about how expensive things are, but I guess I had to see it to believe it. A couple of trips to the grocery store confirmed that things like meat, cheese, and ice cream are not affordable and reserved for special occasions. I had to think twice about purchasing food items I would typically buy in America on a daily basis. I am witnessing how the items we send in care packages go a long way to improve my family’s quality of life. My visit to Lichinga has shown me how critical it is to support missionaries. Everyone is not called to be a missionary, but I feel it is our duty to support the people God has called to “make disciples of all nations” (Matthew 28:19). I know it would not have been possible for me to have the awareness of what life is like if I had not spent time here. It does not take very much to make a very dramatic difference. I am leaving Lichinga with a renewed purpose to support missionaries who are advancing God’s kingdom. This experience has been invaluable!

Part of the orientation and culture training for new Iris missionaries at our center includes a village outing, "ikwalola a dyangu".  We invited Kim to go along with Mandy.  In the village, one will spend hours with a local family that doesn't speak your language - just you and a local family.
(Adults left to right:  Mandy (new Iris intern), Kim (Tiffany's sister) and Lucia (local host)

Their host cooked them cove (greens) and cema (corn flour boiled to a mashed potato like texture).
Cema is the "staple" food item.


Playing with kids is a treasure, and they are everywhere.
  Behind is a large black tin used to heat up water, and the mud "house" used for cooking.
Cooking is generally done outside of the main house where one sleeps.

Playing and having fun.  Perhaps, kids are the same everywhere.
You know what?  You can be our next visitor!  Just send us an email (heartsforharvest@yahoo.com), get your passport ready, and let the journey begin!  Hallelujah!!!  You'll have a great time here, and most of all, we are sure you'll experience Jesus Christ in new ways.  You are welcome to Lichinga, Mozambique, Africa.
Love,

Tyren and Tiffany Haynes