Thursday, December 4, 2014

Pure Heart's Perspective

 
There's a higher call of God that requires us to acknowledge His presence working in the everyday lives of people, saved and unsaved (Matthew 5:43-48).  God is in love with people.  As we honor His presence, we can partner with the Lord in bringing healthy change/transformation to people and the communities where we live.  There are so many opportunities to do this if we are willing.  Here’s a testimony of the Lord working marvelously through government.  I understand that some have different opinions concerning interactions with government.  But sometimes, the experience doesn’t have to change-only our perspective of our experience.    

Here’s the brief story background.  A DHL package was shipped with birthday gifts for my wife and son.  Due to a new system in place here, the package was held up.  If the package wasn't cleared within 25 days, by paying a lot of money, the package would belong to the state.  Our time was running out quickly.  Originally, my focus was just on getting the package.  But, then I noticed something more important - the Lord working in the heart of one individual.
A customs worker decided, on his own, to help me clear the package with the least amount of fees and taxes, and before the deadline ran out.  He made calls to multiple people, some in authority, in another province.  Then, he spoke to brokers (clearing agents) himself on my behalf.  This customs worker, who works in government, kept calling me to make sure people were contacting me and working on having my DHL box cleared without the unnecessary high fees.  He called several people to try to find “work-arounds” and rush the process.  His attitude and work was phenomenal and beyond what should be expected or required!  I hadn’t asked him to do anything.  He did it just because he wanted to help.  I'm sure he is one of many treasures in Customs who bring honor to the department, and value to the community in which he serves.

Here’s the testimony.  If I was just focused on myself, getting the DHL box, or being irritated by the new system, I would have missed seeing Jesus.  Also, I could have hindered His work in someone else's life.  The Lord is our light.  When we see Him, we can see other things clearly.  That’s where the pure heart’s perspective comes from.  The pure heart’s perspective comes from focusing on Jesus alone.  Then we can clearly see and evaluate things around us.  So, I saw the hand of God work on a custom worker's heart for His own pleasure (and not just to get my box).  The mercy of God led a man to care about others and serve well beyond his job requirements.  Joy filled my heart as I saw the Lord developing this man’s life.  What began as an aggravating interaction, appeared as it truly was - a celebration of God and His ways of preparing a person's heart for Himself.  I was excited and celebrated the personal victory the customs official obtained.  This was better than getting the box!  This man’s victory actually opened the way for the clearing agent in another province to receive a personal victory as well.

Do you see it?  Do you see?  I realized the whole situation wasn’t about getting the DHL box (or about me!).  It’s about seeing what Jesus is doing, and valuing that no matter what!  I had to be patient to allow the Sovereign Lord to use this situation to work His purposes in people.  As we are sensitive to the presence and what the Lord is doing in people's lives, we'll be able to join with Him in serving people, believers and unbelievers, out of genuine love for their good (and not just our own).  This is the gospel. This is outreach!  As we see Jesus, we see true ministry in action, and can join with what He is already doing to help bring godly impact to the community in which we live.  Let's love the people in our communities well, so that we can help bring true development and growth to the communities where we live.

Hallelujah!

Tyren and Tiffany Haynes

No comments: