Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Life in the Spirit

When we truly pray and ask the Lord to glorify Himself in us, we can’t pick and choose what and how the Lord should and should not use us. It’s a life in the Holy Spirit. We die to ourselves, daily, allowing the Lord to give us the privilege of testifying of the name of Christ. We trust Him through all situations that seem favorable or unfavorable. But, for the love of God and His love for others, we endure through trials, good situations and bad, greatly rejoicing for the opportunity to make Christ known.

For instance, while travelling in a neighboring country to renew passports for our kids, we were stopped at a police roadblock (one of many). A policeman came and started doing something. Another policeman came, whom I didn’t know, stopped the first policeman and said, “This man’s a pastor”. In this country, they call any missionary a pastor. They stopped their proceedings and let me go. I marveled at how these policemen feared the name of the Lord. It was exciting to see how the Lord worked things out in our favor.

While travelling, we ate new fruit! At over a foot long and 5
inches in diameter this spikey skinned fruit with a sweet, yet
slightly powdery tasting interior might be a trial for some.
A local called it jackfruit. 
 But, at another police stop, I had to pay a fine (the first time in 1 1/2 years) because my family in the back seat didn’t have their seat belts on (they've never worn them). We watched them let other people pass without seat belts on at all. I was upset, but the Holy Spirit spoke to me, so I didn’t say what I wanted to say (thank God for Christ’s humility). Instead, I ended up speaking before a group of 6 police about honesty, the fear of the Lord and honoring them as they do good before the Lord (Romans 13:1-5). Unexpectedly, I felt a great love in my heart for that young policeman who had stopped me (Mark 10:21). I don’t know what the Lord did to him, but his hands were trembling as he gave me the ticket. I encouraged him to be just in his work. Later, I prayed for him to have a life changing encounter with Christ. I was given a ticket for the fine, and paid a thousand in their local currency. Was the fine valid? We don’t know. But, we later asked a policeman at another police checkpoint. He replied, “There’s no need to wear the seatbelt. I’m sorry about that [the fine we paid].” We rejoiced, counting it all joy for being in a trial for the glory of Christ (James 1:1-3). We know, the Lord still worked things out for His glory, and thus our favor.

Regardless of the cost, we choose to pray for more of His glory. Every time we’ve prayed that prayer before travelling to that certain country, we’ve met and passed through trials and undesirable situations. But, we trust God with our lives. We aim to please Him and reveal His love to whomever He wills in any condition the person might be in. As missionaries, as Christians, we are not called to minister out of comfort, but consecration. Let us protect the joy of carrying our cross, enduring whatsoever may come, so that we may exalt the Son of God, Jesus Christ. If we confess the gospel, we must live by it. “But none of these things move me, nor do I count my life dear to myself, so that I may finish my race with joy, and the ministry which I received from the Lord…” (see Acts 20:24).

In Him we live.  Love,

Tyren and Tiffany Haynes